Tuesday, July 25, 2017

THE MISTRAL WIND - Excerpt

THE MISTRAL WIND Amazon Books



Act Three
Scene Two


THE FOLLOWING SUMMER, IN AUVERS-SUR-OISE, JUST NORTH OF PARIS.


A SERIES OF PAINTINGS IS PROJECTED ON THE SCREEN IN FRONT OF THE STAGE.
The Pieta (after Delacroix)
Self Portrait (Dedicated-Paul Gauguin)
First Steps (after Millet)
Blossoming Almond Tree
Wheat Field with Crows
***Wheat Field with Crows (also background flat)

THE MUSIC OF, Richard Wagner, Lohengren Prelude, ACCOMPANIES THE PAINTINGS.

THE MUSIC FADES AS THE SCREEN IS LIFTED AWAY REVEALING A PASTORAL SETTING.  

THE LARGE BACKGROUND FLAT IS THE PAINTING, Wheat Field with Crows.

VINCENT IS DRESSED IN A JAPANESE ROBE, HIS HEAD IS SHAVED, HE IS AT HIS EASEL PAINTING.




VINCENT
The air is so clean and refreshing.

(UKIYO enters and looks at VINCENT but doesn’t speak)

The wind is blowing but it’s blowing softly.  It’s not bothersome like before...it’s almost like…almost like…caressing me.


UKIYO
Vincent?



VINCENT
(continues painting but doesn’t look up)
Yes?
(Vincent looks around distracted, continues painting and the finally looks up)

You again?

UKIYO
You again?  You were saying?

VINCENT
I was talking about this wind.  It’s so kind … it’s nothing like the Mistral that sweeps through Arles.  It’s so brutal there.  The trees there bend to its will.  As did everything.
(Vincent pauses and paints, pauses again and puts his hands in his lap)

And I suppose I bent too - didn’t I, Ukiyo?

UKIYO
Yes, you did, Vincent. You did.  But the question remains, did you break?

VINCENT
Well, I broke down in Arles, that’s a fact.  And then again…and then at Saint-Remy.  But I got back up.  And for me, it was a trial - a very difficult time. But yet, a fight worth fighting.  I’ve come to know who I am.

UKIYO
And who are you, Vincent.

VINCENT
I am the monk. I’m the ascetic, the artist.
(Vincent becomes distracted)

The light here in the North is not as bright and yellow as near Arles.  But it is lovely, isn’t it?  This could be heaven, I think I have arrived.
(distracted again)
Theo sent me a photograph of Jo and my little nephew.  I copied a work of Millet’s and put all three, Jo and Theo and little Vincent in the new painting.  I call it First Steps, maybe you’ll see it someday.  It’s sweet, it touches my heart.

UKIYO
You’ve studied a lot of Jean-Francois’s work since I’ve known you.

VINCENT
You know he painted common people like us - working in these fields - outdoors with their hands in the earth - reflections of the great harmony and balance around us.  There is a certain grace in nature isn’t there?  There’s an unspoken understanding - there’s a beginning and an end and the cycle continues.  There’s comfort in knowing that.  You know it wasn’t until Jean-Francois died that the art world took notice of his contribution.  And I take notice of that as well.

UKIYO
Take notice of what?

VINCENT
That there is some kind of sick preference out there for the work of a dead artist.  It’s like mining for gold in cold bones - as if the art is somehow separate from the man.  But how can it be?  Dead painters, dead poets, dead novelists - how can they be failures in life and geniuses in death.  It’s a perversion. But it’s a fact - and not gone unnoticed.

UKIYO
Some things just can’t be explained. They are what they are.

VINCENT
You always say things like that.  Now I have a question for you.  What do you say about this new tower in Paris?  It was built while I was away in Arles and at Saint-Remy.  Theo took me to see it when I came back - this Eiffel Tower.  Is this art to you?

UKIYO
Is it art to you?

VINCENT
(agitated)

Don’t I know you so well?  I knew you would answer like that. You never engage me. You play word games. Well I’ll tell you what it is.  It’s a metallic monstrosity.  Who would dig up the earth to plant such a thing.  If this is an example of what our modern technology is capable of bringing us, then God help us. We are losing touch with what nurture’s our souls.

UKIYO
And what nurtures you, Vincent?

VINCENT
The days spent painting, regardless of how much of a toll it takes.  This is what nurtures me.  And of course, the Japanese artists.  They bring life and art together.  I hope I have come to such a place in my art as well.  And of course, my loving brother Theo, who has nurtured me in many ways over the years.  If not for Theo – well, I just don’t know.

UKIYO
Yes, Theo has been your benefactor. He has blind faith in you.

VINCENT
But as in nature, all things pass away.  It’s only natural - to find peace for myself and for Theo.

UKIYO
What are you saying?

VINCENT
You know, you know what I’m saying.  I’ve made my decision, my peace.  My mind is clear as is my conscience.  I haven’t felt so crystal clear in a long time.

UKIYO
Vincent, this is wrong.  You know this is wrong.

VINCENT
It is what it is.  Now that sounds like something you would say but it’s true.  Perhaps it’s just wrong to you - not to me.
UKIYO
If it’s wrong to me, it’s wrong to you.

VINCENT
But things need to change.  All things need change.  Don’t you see how this will change things?

UKIYO
Change things?  Yes, you’ll be dead.  That’s how things will change.

VINCENT
No, you don’t see it.  Theo will be out from under this burden he has endured for so long - this burden of supporting me.  I have been a failure as an artist from the beginning.  I still am, yet he still sends me money to support my work.

UKIYO
Theo has an undying faith in you.  You should honor that.

VINCENT
(VINCENT pulls a pistol from his robe, he holds it, looks at it and gently sets in on his easel)

I will honor him by offering up my life for him. You see, it will all work out. My work will sell after my death because of this unnatural perversion for dead artists. I know my work will sell - that’s what faith I have in my work.  It’s time - I have to die for my work to live on.

UKIYO
Vincent, no.

VINCENT
Look we both know I’m not well -in body or mind.  But Theo isn’t well either.  He’s sick and he has to work that much harder.  He has Jo to think of and my namesake, little Vincent. I can’t be a burden to them anymore.
(Vincent pauses, thinking of his family)

VINCENT

No – it’s enough.

(Vincent paces obviously agitated then stops suddenly and changes the subject)

Do you know I painted a Blossoming Almond Tree for little Vincent?  It’s very Japanese you know.

UKIYO
Yes, I know that.

VINCENT
I hope they’ll hang it in his bedroom.  Please see that he gets the painting.  I want him to remember his uncle that way.

UKIYO
You’ll have to give him the painting yourself.
VINCENT
Why won’t you?

UKIYO
I can’t - only you can.

VINCENT
Why not?  Why can’t you give it to him?

UKIYO
You know why.

VINCENT
Why?  Why are you always so evasive?  Why must you always fence with me this way?  It drives me insane.  Perhaps it’s you who has driven me to this.  Look it’s simple.  I’m a failed artist - a burden to his brother.  The life he has given me, I want to give back to him.

UKIYO
This is no sacrifice.  This is a selfish act -to take your life because you can’t bear it - it’s selfish. (UKIYO slowly walks backward away from VINCENT)

VINCENT
No, it’s not selfish. It is my ultimate sacrifice.  It’s my sacrifice to my brother and to my art. 
(UKIYO is now gone and can’t be seen on stage. VINCENT is alone.)

You see, I am a monk now.  And my life is not my own.  And all this time I didn’t know.  But now I do.  I know who I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment